Thursday, June 24, 2010

Game Recap - Bandits get the hits, but can't get the runs vs. Millers.

The St. Croix River Bandits (4-9, 2-5) just cannot seem to put a whole game together this past week. The Bandits dropped their third conference game in a row, Wednesday night at the hands of the New Richmond Millers (3-3. 6-8) by the score of 3-0.

The Bandits out hit the Millers eight to seven, and had the bases loaded in the 2nd and 3rd innings, and runners in scoring position in 4th through 6th inning, but could not punch a run across.

Millers pitcher Hayden Zimmerman collected a whopping 16 strikeouts and walked only 2 in the complete game victory. Whenever the Bandits threatened, Zimmerman shut the door with a strikeout, or two.

Bandits starter Will Ball pitched a strong game in his second conference start of the season. Ball didn't allow a hit until the 4th inning, but started to run into trouble in the bottom of the 6th. Ball walked Tony Amundson with one out, and John Will laid down a beautiful bunt down the first base line. Ball fielded the bunt, and had to throw from his knees to try to get the speedy John Will. Ball's throw to first hit the ground right at firstbaseman Trevor Todd's feet, and skitted away. The runners were able to advance to third and second base. The next batter, Hayden Zimmerman, smacked his only hit of the day, a line drive single to center, scoring both runners. The Millers added a third run in the bottom of the seventh for a 3-0 lead that would stand for the rest of the game.

"Another tough loss for the Bandits, we have been in contention for every single conference game except for one this year. We just have to start pulling these games out. Today we had a great pitching performance again by Will Ball, we fielded the ball well, we hit the ball in the first six innings, but we just could not come up with a hit when it mattered the most. It's disappointing that we have dropped to 2-5 in conference, but we are playing the best ball that our team has played in its 4-year existence, I know the wins will come, its just a matter of time if we can continue to play like this," said general manager Jim Rochford after the loss.

***NOTES***

Game Balls

1. Will Ball 7IP, 7H, 6K, 2BB, 3R, 2ER - great presence on the mound, great tempo to the game

2. Adam Lewis, 2-3 on the day, reached base all 4 times up (on error and walk), pitched a scoreless 8th ining.

3. Kyle Kahl, 2-4, hit with guys on base, 1 assist and 2 putouts on the day

Unheralded Hero(es) of the Game:

Solid defense on the day by the Bandits, only 1 unfortunate error, leading to 1 unearned run, but other than that it was a solid performance by the infield including catcher Steve Siqueiros behind the plate (at least when refering to getting to wild pitches and throwing out baserunners).

WOW play of the Day:

Michael Chelberg's climbing the foul chain link fence wall to make a unbelievable running and crashing catch to claim the 2nd out of the 4th inning with a runner on 2nd base.

Things Heard Around the Diamond:

I apologize, but if I don't write these things down I tend to forget them.....

Players Mising in Action (from their prospective)

Nick Johnson - Sorry, I was busy showing off my skills at a basebal showcase

Gus Koecher - I can't believe my dad made me work!

Tim Wampfler - I had to like, move my truck, because, like, it's dying....or something

Curtis Roebuck - Yeah, so...I have to to work now...excuse me!

Ben Niehaus - Maybe someone should call me so I know when I am supposed to be playing

Jeff Johnson - I remember when I used to play baseball, they called me Plow, because I could hit so many home runs. You listen here kiddie, when I was your age......

Ben Anderson - Guys why did you tell me the game is in Chetek, I'm all the way out here, and I don't see you anywhere!

Brian Jacobson - Well, I just got done throwing about 498 pitches to my 7th and 8th grade team, my feet are killin' me, and if you're going to pull this &*^% at least you could've said you were from the Yankees.

No comments: